a) WinRAR attempts to reconstruct both missing and damaged
volumes. Original copies of damaged volumes are renamed
to *.bad. Previous version was able to reconstruct only
b) WinRAR automatically detects corrupt recovery volumes
and ignores them;
c) Recovery volumes naming scheme changed from <name>N1_N2_N3.rev
to less complicated <name>N.rev, where 'N' is the number of
volume. Old style recovery volumes are also recognized and
d) WinRAR displays the progress bar while reconstructing volumes.
5. SFX modules:
a) Start and License SFX dialogs had been redesigned;
b) SFX provides fully functional HTML support in "Text" command.
Earlier versions supported only very limited set of HTML tags;
c) "SavePath" SFX script command and "Save and restore paths"
option in "Advanced SFX settings" allow to save the destination
path entered by user in Registry and then restore it when
executing SFX archive next time.
6. Compression improved when adding small text files to already
existing archive using "Best" (-m5) or "Forced text" (-mct+) modes.
7. "Flat folders view" command in "Options/File list" menu switches
between the classic tree style view and flat view, when all archived
files and folders are displayed in the same list.
8. Option "Turn PC off when done" in "Advanced" part of archiving
dialog and command line switch -ioff turn a computer off after
completing an operation. Hardware must support the power off feature.
9. Sizes of ZIP-100, CD-650MB and CD-700MB disks are added
to predefined values in the volume size list in archiving dialog.
10. New command line switch -iicon<name> specifies an icon to use
in SFX archive created or updated by WinRAR. This switch is
supported only by WinRAR, console RAR does not recognize it.
11. Now WinRAR opens tar.gz and tar.bz2 archives in one step,
so users do not need to unpack .tar manually.
WinRAR does not store temporary .tar files on the disk,
all required operations are performed directly in memory.
12. WinRAR is able to decompress multipart ZIP archives
(.zip, .z01, .z02, ...).
13. New 'N' (archive number) modifier for -ag switch and
"Generate archive name by mask" backup option of archiving dialog.
WinRAR searches for already existing archive with a generated name
and if it is found, increments the archive number until generating
a unique name. For example, if you use -agyymmdd-nn several
times in the same day, every new archive name will include a new
14. If rarfiles.lst contains such two masks that all files matched
by one mask are also matched by other, that mask which matches
a smaller subset of file names will have higher priority regardless
of its position in the list. For example, in case of *.cpp and
f*.cpp masks, f*.cpp has higher priority.
15. WinRAR displays CRC16 column inside of LZH archives.
16. It is possible to disable the main menu and settings dialog
using "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\WinRAR\Policy" or
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\WinRAR\Policy" Registry key.
This feature may help to preserve WinRAR settings in multiuser
environment. Read "Configuration settings/Registry variables"
topic in winrar.hlp for more details.